January 14th, 2016
Some people love winter. They love the snow, the snap in the air, the short days and cozy nights at home. Others can’t stand it, for many of the same reasons. Regardless of whether you love it or hate it, though, chances are you’re going to have to get out and drive in it at some point. We’ve got a few suggestions to help you through the winter safely:
• Make sure you’ve got a well-maintained car. This includes fresh windshield wipers, proper tire inflation, a strong battery, a properly-maintained cooling system and a fresh oil change. If your tires aren’t up to the job of winter driving, you might consider switching to winter tires for a while – just
Tags: car maintenance, winter tires, snow tires, winter driving tips, winter driving, driver safety, safe vehicle
December 31st, 2015
In a lot of parts of the country, the winters are tough enough that all-season tires just won’t get the job done. All-season tires are a compromise; they offer good year-round traction with a quiet ride, good handling and road manners. They tend to perform well in wet weather and light wintry conditions, but when the snow is more than a couple of inches deep, all-season tires are out of their league. That’s when it’s time to consider winter tires.
Today’s winter tires are a long way from the heavy, noisy, clumsy “snow tires” or “mud grips” that your dad might have had on his station wagon 40 years ago. Modern winter tires are designed for noise, handling, steering response and road manners that rival grand tourin ...[more]
Tags: snow tires, snow and winter tires, buy snow tires, buy winter tires, winter tire benefits, winter tire tips, winter driving, winter tire decisions
Posted in: Tire 101
November 26th, 2015
Where did this year go? Before you know it, it’s going to be time for the holidays, and that can mean travel in some pretty trying conditions (and we don’t just mean restless kids in the back seat). Is your vehicle ready for some interstate miles?
• Tires: It’s a good idea to have your tires rotated every 5,000-7,000 miles to ensure even wear. With that in mind, it’s easy to just schedule a tire rotation with every oil change, since the vehicle will be up in the air on a lube rack anyway. Have you checked your inflation lately? Your proper
inflation levels will be on a sticker on the driver’s side ...[more]
Tags: car maintenance, auto repair, winter driving, engine maintenance, heating repair, auto services, preventative maintenance service, winter
November 12th, 2015
Winter tires versus all-season tires…which is the right choice for you?
The two designs are quite different and deliver different levels of performance and winter-weather traction, so let’s discuss.
• All-season tires are designed as an all-around compromise. They feature a tread pattern that evacuates water from the tire’s contact patch to prevent hydroplaning, with plenty of small, textured slits (sipes) to add extra biting edges for traction in wet or slushy conditions.
• All-season tires are designed with a harder tread compound th ...[more]
Tags: new tires, winter tires, snow tires, snow and winter tires, winter tire tips, winter driving, winter tire decisions, winter tire help, winter tire guide
Posted in: Tire 101
October 15th, 2015
The days are getting shorter, there’s a snap in the air, and before you know it, the winter months are going to be upon us. Is your vehicle ready?
• Wipers: Even the best windshield wipers are only good for about a year; normal wear, the sun’s UV rays and the elements take their toll on them. Get a good look and check them for chunks, strips or chips missing, and replace if necessary for a streak-free field of vision in wet weather. Hint: a fresh application of
Rain-X on your windshield and window glass can help visibility greatly.
• Brakes: Are you hearing any squeaks, squeals or ...[more]
Tags: car maintenance, auto repair, preventative flush service, winter driving, engine maintenance, auto service, winter
December 13th, 2013
Another winter storm coming? Before you rush to the store for the last gallon of milk and loaf of bread, you’ll want to be sure your car is ready to battle the elements. Follow these tips before venturing out into the winter wonderland.
- Check your Cooling System. Have your mechanic check your hoses, belts and anti-freeze. A weakened hose or belt can break and leave you stranded, or a weak solution of anti-freeze can ice up and damage your cooling system. Hoses shouldn’t have cracks or become softened. In extreme temperature drops, keep an eye on your hoses and belts, as low temperatures can cause additional breakage or weak spots.
- Check Your Battery. Make sure your car's battery connection is cle ...[more]
Tags: winter tire benefits, winter tire tips, winter driving tips, winter driving, winter tire decisions, winter tire help, winter tire guide, safe winter driving, winterize car battery, winterize battery, discount winter tires, winter tires online, winter tire information, winter
December (4) November (2) October (3) September (8) August (7) July (9) June (11) May (15) April (9) March (21) February (12) January (13)
December (14) November (17) October (13) September (12) August (14) July (12) June (13) May (23) March (8) February (7)
November (12) October (10) September (6) August (13) July (3) June (14) May (14) April (12) March (11) February (19) January (15)
tires auto repair winter tire benefits winter tire tips winter driving tips winter driving winter tire decisions winter tire help winter tire guide safe winter driving winterize car battery winterize battery discount winter tires winter tires online winter tire information winter car maintenance engine maintenance repair engine auto repair services auto services auto repair service auto service automotive repair automotive repair services car repair truck repair check engine light vehicle energy saver preventative flush service preventative maintenance service winter tires snow tires snow and winter tires difference snow tires winter tires snow tires vs winter tires new tires summer tires all season tires buy tires all seasons tires replacing tires brakes brake check, brake lines brake service brake repair truck tires car tires truck tire repair car tire repair tire repair transmission flush brake flush power steering flush auto flush preventative maintenance tune up service oil changes gas mileage oil change Mother's Day air conditioning service auto repair mechanics battery inspections tire rotation safe driving tips car battery ac repair service recharge ac ac service air conditioning car service wheel alignment tire replacement driver safety back to school fuel economy tire maintenance rotate tires tire rotation service tire rotation benefits tread wear safe tires tire pressure tire inflation driving tips vehicle lights headlights brake lights holiday travel tire alignment tune up tire balancing car alignment break service Car Energy Savers ac repair oil change service spare tires spare tire car spare tire truck spare tire heating repair mpg mileage buy snow tires buy winter tires safe vehicle mechanic mechanics auto mechanics auto mechanic tire technology high mileage engine tire recycling high mileage car flat tires flat tire repair coolant fluids tire store tips tripletred tires passenger tires tire center auto facts car care kit tire facts spark plug replacement spark plug repair spark plugs